WAC 246-08-400 Health care providers charging for searching and duplicating health care records.
RCW 70.02.010(38) allows health care providers to charge fees for searching and duplicating health care records. The fees a provider may charge cannot exceed the fees listed below:
- (1) Copying charge per page:
- (a) No more than one dollar and twenty-four cents per page for the first thirty pages;
- (b) No more than ninety-four cents per page for all other pages.
- (2) Additional charges:
- (a) The provider can charge a twenty-eight dollar clerical fee for searching and handling records;
- (b) If the provider personally edits confidential information from the record, as required by statute, the provider can charge the usual fee for a basic office visit.
- (3) HIPAA covered entities as defined in 45 C.F.R. Sec. 103 may not charge fees or costs that are not authorized by, or are prohibited by, Federal HIPAA regulation 45 C.F.R. Sec. 164.