They used to be called incorrigible. Now we know there is an explanation for what some people call impulsive, disorganized and/or inattentive behaviors. Attention deficit disorder (ADD), often referred to as attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), is the most common psychiatric disorder in children and adults, affecting between 5-10% of the population.
It can make it difficult or impossible for some people to concentrate in school, to stay with a job or to feel successful in their family lives. Fortunately, for those who are diagnosed with ADHD, counseling, medication and lifestyle changes will all make a difference in the success of treatment.
PEOPLE WITH ADD/ADHD CAN AND DO FEEL BETTER.
COMMON SYMPTOMS OF UNTREATED ADD/ADHD
- Persistent short attention span
- Forethought and judgment problems
- Impulse control problems (in some, but not all)
- Hyperactivity (in some, but not all)Failure to reach potential at school or work
- Family conflict
- Drug abuse
- Low self-esteem
- Chronic stress
THERE ARE 7 DISTINCT TYPES OF ADD
- Classic ADD
- Overfocused ADD
- Temporal Lobe ADD
- Ring of Fire ADD
- Inattentive ADD
- Limbic ADD
- Anxious ADD
ABOUT OUR EVALUATOR: DR. RICHARD WEMHOFF
Dr. Richard Wemhoff, Clinical Psychologist, has been trained by leading ADD/ADHD expert and Psychiatrist, Dr. Daniel Amen, and has provided hundreds of comprehensive assessments for clients who are struggling with ADD/ADHD-like symptoms.
If you believe that ADD is affecting you or a loved one, please call our Care Coordinators at 425.869.2644, ext. 0 who will guide you through the entire evaluation process. Once your sessions have been scheduled, we will email you detailed instructions and the necessary paperwork to be completed prior to your first session.
THE EVALUATION PROCESS
- Our evaluation process is comprised of three separate sessions with Dr. Wemhoff. Please note: the second session is a 2 hour long session.
- After your third session and the evaluation has been completed, Dr. Wemhoff compiles a comprehensive report detailing the evaluation findings and provides the results to your physician (if appropriate) who could then provide you with the proper medication and, in many instances make a recommendation to work with a therapist at Emmaus who would help to address behaviors associated with ADD.
- Please allow one week following your last session to receive Dr. Wemhoff’s reported findings.
READING ROOM & RESOURCES
Visit our Reading Room specifically designed for clients with ADD & ADHD as well as a listing of resources available. Each book has been hand selected by our Therapists and have been posted as a resource for you.